Tuesday 3 April 2012

Day 44: A Lenten Makaria (Post-Funeral Meal) PART 1

Sadly, today we attended the funeral of a dear family friend. We were unable to post today's entry but will do so tomorrow.  The subject of this entry will be to describe a typical Lenten Makaria meal (post-funeral meal).


Thank you for your understanding.


Tone 5 of the Greek Orthodox Funeral Service (composed by St. 
John of Damascus)

I Called to mind the Prophet who shouted, "I am but earth and ash." And once again I looked with attention on the tombs, and I saw the bones therein which of flesh were naked; and I said, "Which indeed is he that is king? Or which is soldier? Which is the wealthy, which the needy? Which the righteous, or which the sinner?" But to Your 
servant, O Lord, grant that with the righteous he (she) may repose.

(Source of text: http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/funeral2 )

No comments:

Post a Comment